What is Pregnancy Massage?
Pregnancy or prenatal massage is used to reduce stress, reduce swelling in the arms and legs and relieve muscle and joint pain in pregnant women.
Massage in pregnancy can involve many different massage techniques. It is usually a gentle massage. Pregnancy can put a lot of stress on your back, shoulders, neck and abdominal muscles. Pregnancy massage is designed to relieve some of the aches and pains that are common during pregnancy. A qualified therapist will understand the areas to target and which to avoid. They will also help you to get comfortable with pillows, have you lay on your side or sit up for some of your massage.
The health benefits of pregnancy massage.
There is plenty of scientific evidence that massage during pregnancy can:
- Reduce stress hormones.
- Relax and loosen your muscles.
- Increase blood flow.
- Improve the lymphatic system.
- Improve mood, lower anxiety
- Help you to sleep better.
Always talk to your doctor before you have a pregnancy massage, especially if:
- you are at high risk of miscarriage.
- you have a high-risk pregnancy (such as due to preeclampsia or high/low blood pressure).
- you have a blood clot, for example deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- you have abdominal pain or bleeding.
*Please note: You must be 14 weeks + to book in for a pregnancy massage at SEMM.
For more information about Preganacy Massage and how it could benefit you, contact us.
*All initial appointments at SEMM are 60min sessions. This allows adequate time required for your intake forms and a detailed assessment with your therapist to be completed.